With some prodding from Greg and Butch, I have decided to to begin a small series of posts on the conversion of my scope and the many stages it has gone through on its journey to its current status. I am hoping the posts will be interesting to all and perhaps stir the creative juices for further improvements.
I acquired the scope from Butch, my older brother quite some time ago in its original configuration with its Eq mount and AutoStar controller. Having little interest at the time to get to know the scope, I kept it for quite some time in this config. Butch will have to chime in as to how easy or difficult it was to manage the scope. All I can tell you is the counter weights are monstrous and I still have them. I do recall conversation with Butch about the scope overall and the difficulty he had in working the auto-star and getting the thing to polar align. Nevertheless, he did say often however, how well he liked the optics.
As time went on we discussed the ideas around converting the scope to a dob mount and such, but it wasn’t until a few years ago that I finally decided it was time to do something with the scope or look at getting rid of it. Those of you that have seen the scope, obviously know what path I chose. The conversion, to this point, can be broken into a few stages and in future posts I will elaborate on each stage.
Stage 1: EQ Mount upgrade. Stage 2: 1st dob mount. Stage 3: Current dob mount. And, Stage 4: Focuser Upgrade. I am hoping that Greg and Butch will add photos and comments moving forward. I will, for the first time, be using the new scope this coming weekend and I hope to be pleasantly surprised, but I am sure, as with all new stuff, the kinks are remaining to be worked out. Until next time.
Clear Skies and 73’s